Historic Brunswick Foundation


Brunswick's Future is its History

The Smith House Gallery

The Smith House, located at 721 Grant Street, city lot 92, was built circa 1868 by prominent, pioneer residents Mr. and Mrs. Thomas F. Smith. Mr. Smith was the editor of the Brunswick Appeal newspaper and also owned several other properties in town. The Smith family owned the home from 1868 until the death of Frances Smith in 1960. During the Smith daughters' tenure, the house served as both their home and local school. The Smith family members are all interred at the Oak Grove Cemetery in Brunswick.

The Smith house consists of two structures of modest detail. The forward portion is a gable-end, central passage, hall and parlor design which is connected to a hipped roof, saddlebag structure in the rear.

HBF acquired the home in 2014 and has utilized the structure for events and UGA Preservation Field Schools. Inquiries for purchase are welcome.

P.O. Box 426, Brunswick, GA 31521
myHBF.org  |  info@myHBF.org